Monday, March 7, 2011

A Stronger "Thank You."

Every day I go swimming
Pools of salt water that start a deep jade
You point out the flecks of brown and blue
Then the pools shimmer, spill over
Into translucent drops
Picking up smeared colors
As they drain.

Yet like the bottomless pit
The pools never stop refilling
For each day we dive in again
And watch ourselves drown

"It wasn't like this before"
You say.
"I don't understand why."
I say.
"It'll get better in time."
We say.

But it hasn't yet.

There are many reasons why the pools can't
Just stay intact, whole, sparked instead of soaked
We can come up with so many
Like life in general;
Like pressures of techtonic plates
Shifting us into new worlds, new lives,
Letting the magma beneath rumble to the surface;
Like something mysteriously gender-specific;
Like the weather.

The one credit of nearly drowning every day
Is that you appreciate what moments of life surround death;
You holding my hand
You trying to absorb the pain
You daring to change my direction
You encouraging, reassuring, giving me courage to fight
You attempting, daily, to save me.
You never running away to save yourself.

The English language needs a stronger sentiment than
"Thank you."

1 comment: